Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Couple of Random Thoughts

1.  Now that the 2015 releases have started coming out, it is time to wonder once more whether Sandy Alomar Jr. will be appearing in any new sets.  Topps Series 1 has already hit and no sign of Alomar yet.  The set features buybacks once more, but they stop at around 1979 it would appear.  So no Sandy Jr. there.  The best chance from what I have seen so far is Archives once more.  Let's hope Panini releases another Hometown Heroes set.  I have not seen much of anything about Panini's upcoming releases.

2.  I was looking back at some of my Red Sox collection recently and came across the 2002 Leaf Rookies and Stars set.  I am annoyed that Alomar did not appear in this set, or really any Donruss sets after their return in 2001.  But that set in particular could have had up to four Sandy Alomars in the base set.  You see, Leaf produced multiple cards of a number of players who had played for other teams.  I have cards in my Red Sox collection of Hideo Nomo and Ellis Burks, and am aware of cards of Roger Clemens and Mo Vaughn.  So it could have featured a regular White Sox card and two short-printed cards depicting Alomar with the Padres and Indians.  Roberto had five cards in the set.  Sandy also could have appeared in the Award Winners subset for his Rookie of the Year award.  Another disappointing missed opportunity.  This could have been a pretty cool set for Alomar.

3.  I am going to keep an eye on managerial turmoil this year.  I really think Alomar is due for a managerial position.  Right now I am tentatively watching the Rockies, Mets, and Blue Jays as teams that might have a possibility for an opening, particularly if they underachieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment