Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Card #15: 1989 Topps #648b

YEAR: 1989
BRAND: Topps
SET: Topps
NUMBER: 648
SUBSET: Future Stars
TEAM: San Diego Padres

This was an accident.  I did not intend to have two posts in a row dealing with this card, but that is how this worked out I guess.  As I mentioned previously, I had the variation with Alomar's cap touching the Future Star logo early on.  It was just yesterday that I added the variation to my collection.  This was my very first Alomar rookie card.  Topps was usually pretty hit-or-miss with the Future Stars logo.  I have some well-chronicled misses in my Red Sox collection (looking at you, Pat Dodson).  But one can certainly understand the reasoning with Alomar.  He was, after all, coming off of a season in which he won the Minor League Player of the Year, a feat he would repeat in 1989.  And for the most part, Topps was correct with this one.  Alomar would be a star, but he could have been much bigger if not for a seemingly endless series of nagging injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment