Sunday, July 20, 2014

Oddly, His First Pro Team was the Indians

I bought these two cards off of COMC, and though they were each a little more than I would have preferred to spend, they were rare enough that I was unsure when I would ever see another one.
1.  1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold.  This is not serial-numbered although it did only have a print run of 30 cards, making it an exceptionally rare card for a mid 1990's issue.  This gives me all three of the Totally Certified cards.

2.  1984 Spokane Indians Newspaper.  This is Sandy Alomar Jr.'s very first card.  Look how young he looks.  Yes, his very first professional team was the Spokane Indians, a low-level minor league team for the San Diego Padres.  This is kind of an interesting card, looking like the 1977 Topps set.  I have never seen one of these before, and it may be awhile before I see one again.

2 comments:

  1. Nice cards...I had been eyeing up the Totally Certified card for some time but never made an offer...I think the unnumbered version likely came from a pinnacle bankruptcy sale or 'backdoor'. Similar to the 1998 Donruss Signatures Century Marks...I have both the unnumbered version and serial numbered version...I had assumed the unnumbered cards where replacement sigs that went out the backdoor. I hadn't seen the 1984 card before it was posted for sale on COMC...nice pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the lack of a serial number did not dawn on me because I did not look at my other cards. That is a little disappointing, but then I have a bunch of Pacific cards that were supposed to have serial numbers on them in my Red Sox collection that didn't. Same deal here I guess.

    ReplyDelete