Monday, January 26, 2015

Photographic Evidence that Alomar Played for the Mets

As regular readers of my blog (if there are such a thing) know, one of the things that irritates me the most is the fact that Sandy Alomar Jr. does not have any cards with the New York Mets.  He does have a card with the New Orleans Zephyrs, the Triple A team for the Mets at the time.  This is obviously mostly due to the fact that he only played eight games with the Mets in 2007.  Topps Total was already gone in 2007 and Fleer, Donruss, Pinnacle, and Pacific were all gone, leaving just Topps and Upper Deck.  Upper Deck's base set was decent-sized, but alas, no Alomar.  So there are no Alomar cards with the Mets.  Also disappointing because the Mets are one of three teams that all three Alomars have suited up for.

I would love to see an insert set some time featuring well-known players depicted with teams that have never appeared on a card, or very few.  Obviously Alomar would be an example with the Mets.  But there would also be Gary Gaetti and Jose Cruz Jr. with the Red Sox, Steve Carlton with the Giants, Juan Marichal with the Dodgers, Hideki Matsui with the A's, and several more.  I think that would be a creative and interesting insert set.

One of my collection resolutions this year was to find an autographed 8x10 with the Mets and I found it.  There were several to choose from, but I chose this one because I love the action shot.  I have determined that this photo is from the game on August 23, 2007.  That is Milton Bradley of the Padres being tagged out at the plate.  Moises Alou was credited with the assist for throwing out Bradley at the plate.  Alomar had a single in five at-bats during the game.

RESOLUTION TRACKER
1.  No progress.

2.  No progress.

3.  Resolution Achieved.

4.  No progress.

1 comment:

  1. "I would love to see an insert set some time featuring well-known players depicted with teams that have never appeared on a card, or very few."

    This is one of my dreams. Orlando Cepeda as a Royal is another one that comes to mind. Bucky Dent as a Royal, too, for that matter. The possibilities would be endless.

    ReplyDelete