Friday, May 16, 2014

Card #30: 1991 Upper Deck Final #81F

YEAR: 1991
BRAND: Upper Deck
SET: Final
NUMBER: 81F
SUBSET: All Star
TEAM: Cleveland Indians

Here is another card honoring Sandy Alomar Jr. for being named the starting catcher in the 1991 All Star game.  I have said it before and I will say it again: he did not deserve it.  But he took a good position on it: he said he would play because the fans wanted to see him, but he felt he did not deserve it.  Another catcher for whom I am a big fan also was a non-deserving All Star choice later on (Jason Varitek in 2008).  This is a very nice action shot with the bat barrel and the strap from the catcher's mask seen on the fringes of the card.  I can not tell, but the shot may be from the All Star game.  I cannot make out the players in the background, but they appear to be wearing two different uniforms (White Sox and Royals maybe?), and it does appear to be in the SkyDome.

No comments:

Post a Comment